Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

My first soldered jump ring


My first soldered jump ring
Originally uploaded by Zoeowyn
I felt the need to learn to solder today, right this minute.
Actually its a need thats been growing, after all Ive owned the equipment for a while. I just never really had the need. Until the bracelet I wanted to wear started to fall part under its own weight. The links just pulled away from each other at their closing points.

Well I did not want to have all the work on the piece be for naught, so I decided I would solder all those pesky links together. And I did!

It wasn't nearly as hard as I had anticipated. of course developing skill and getting nice clean joins will take practice. But I can totally see how this soldering thing can be so addictive. The way the metal flows, its really nifty.

I was good I did purchase an iron stand for today, and I did wear my googles.

from the top
I'm soldering
one of my joints
theres an octopus in the middle
all the links

3 comments:

The Sintered Artist said...

These pics are fantastic! Great job! I love your soldering tools and station.

WillowTree said...

That is one really interesting sculptural piece. Great post.

Janie said...

You can use a soldering iron to solder jumprings? I didn't know that. I've been avoiding it because I thought it would be to much of a pain with the torch. Thanks for posting about it!