Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fan Art






Fan art.
I've been following a lot of fan art based on the Hobbit movie lately. It got me thinking, how as a teenager I was able to spend hour making fan art, mostly drawings. Now I feel as if Im missing being ale to make fan art.
Its a wonderful way to pay homage to something you admire. It also gives you a subject to work with when otherwise you might not know what to work with.

As a jewelry artist I realize I have been doing some fan art. Its not a portrait drawing, but it is fan art!

I'm a big fan of Sherrylin Kenyon and her Dark Hunter novels.
http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/
 Im fortunate enough to live in the same are she does, so I have had multiple opportunities to meet her at launch parties. And her publisher puts on some fantastic launch parties! I tend to have boot envy at these parties, since I do not have fantastic boots, and for some reason all the folks who dress up in character always have to most fantabuous boots!

One year I decided to make some necklaces based on the cover art of Acheron and Bad Moon Rising.

I know Ive posted these images before, but not in this context, the context of "hey I do make fan art".

I made a pair of earrings based on what Queen Gorgo wore in the movie 300. And as gifts for some author friends I made symbols that represented their book characters. And lets not forget my mini polymer clay Mad Hater Hats!




There is a ton of Doctor Who fan art out there, and those fans make everything from copies of the famous scarf to formal dresses of the Tardis.
http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/this-brilliant-tardis-dress-is-bigger-on-the-inside-cosplay/

This dress is just brilliant!











Lets not forget Star Wars and the fan art this generates. There have been baby girl dresses to R2D as vespa
http://bjornstar.com/post/1035003311/r2-d2-c3po-twins-if-i-have-twin-girls-theyre

















http://hiconsumption.com/2012/11/star-wars-r2-d2-vespa-scooter-motorcycle/












I was introduced to the Hunger Games books from a fellow artist who was participating in ring a week on Flickr in  2010. She made a ring based on the game arena. It was an interesting concept, and peaked my interest in the books.

Fan art is great. It can help generate more fans.

I still want to make some Hobbit fan art, time to think what I can do from the book or movie (and I don't just want to copy a piece thats in production).


All images copyright to their owners, links to blogs where images originated.


No comments: