Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

DIY no sew tote bag from t-shirt




This is the blog post I was going write. Fortunately I found the cable for my camera.


I found this cute zombie t-shirt at good will, and, well we like zombies at our house, so I figured this would be a great shirt to use for the project (that and it certainly wasn't going to fit any of us).





Step 1: Trim the sleeves off,  trim the bottom hem off, trim the collar out. I used a square shape.



Step 2: Stretch all the areas you cut so the edge rolls.




Step 3: Fringe the bottom of the shirt. I cut these about 1/4 inch to about 1/2 inch.
I cut my fringe a bit deep, since I didn't want the sponsors on my bag. Next time I won't make the fringe so long.




Step 4: Cut off the hem from one of the sleeves. Trim 4 strips about 1/2 inch wide.




Step 5: Trim the seem from the four strips, and stretch them so they roll.






Step 6: Use the strips to tie bows on the straps.






Step 7: Tie opposite fringes together. I used a basic double knot. Then tie the side-by-side fringes together. This makes a nice tight bottom with minimum holes (see next picture).




The inside of the bag, see tight holes.





Ta-da fringy zombie bag.


If you don't like all the fringe, even if it were cut shorter, you can tie the fringes together on the inside. Your bag would look sort of like this instead.



No comments: